Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Not so slick

While walking through the mall on the way to the food court one lunchtime, I asked my coworker Shane about why a mall would have a Bath & Body Works so close to a Body Shop. Are they different? Do discriminating people have reason to visit one store over another? Shane suggested that there must be a difference, but it's only germane to people who would ever enter either store.

That night, I mentioned the twin pairing of Bath stores to Rachel, who told me that there is a sognificant difference. That led her to reminisce about a container of Body Shop Pink Grapefruit lotion that her roommate had back before we were married. Rachel had enjoyed this lotion until the roommate mentioned that it was almost depleted. Rachel immediately replaced it, but never felt comfortable using it again.

The next time I walked through the mall atrium, I told the guys I would catch up with them in a few minutes. I detoured straight to the Body Shop, picked up a tub of Pink Grapefruit Body Butter, paid for it and took it back to the office along with my salad. "Gentlemen," I said, smugly brandishing my Pink Grapefruit goo tub, "let me tell you how I'm going to earn some husband points." I even suggested that my coworkers try employing the same setup:

Ask, "Honey, is there a difference between the Body Shop and Bath and Body Works?" Take note of wife's response, return next day with gift.

That night I kissed Rachel hello when I came in the door and told her I had a present for her. I handed her the bag, and she said "Oh, the Body Shop!!"

[pause]

"Body butter??"

"Yeah, pink grapefruit, remember?" I said, my confident smile faltering.

"That was shower scrub." (SHIT! Goddamn details! Body butter is different from shower scrub?!?)

Rachel looked up and gave me a big affectionate hug. The gesture was appreciated. But fellows, take note.



2 comments:

- caj said...

So what happens if you ask your wife, "Honey? What's the difference between shower scrub and body butter?"

Heh, heh. "Body butter." It's even fun to write.

Biff Speckman said...

She said "Body butter" like it was something dirty. Looking back, I guess the cashier was kind of snickering when I bought it.